First off thanks so much for all the cool and wonderful comments on my last post! I love a forum that supports all my madness ;-)
I'm in between studying (Summer classes started this past Tuesday) and thought because a few have asked, I would "try" to make a short post about my upcoming Breast Reconstruction Surgery.
Most of you may know that I am a breast cancer survivor. Back in May of 2009 I was diagnosed with a very rare form of breast cancer in stage II (only 0.05% of the women in the country have this kind). By my oncologist not knowing how to treat it, I underwent 3 months of chemotherapy, a bilateral mastectomy and radiation. In November of 2009 after having my breast removed, my ecstatic doctors informed me that the cancer was gone. I had to undergo radiation, but after that I would go through 3 more surgeries to get new breast. This will be my second surgery in where the doctors will put in silicone implants. I used to wear 50EE or 50F (they were probably Gs or Hs) bras so the option to downsize was an EASSSSSSSYYYY one!!
My next surgery is scheduled for some time in August. I'm opting for the 3rd week which will be the week of the 15th. This is excellent timing for me as I will be in between Summer semester classes (end August 8th) and my Fall classes (which start August 29th). My plastic surgeon says I will only need a week to recuperate as opposed to the 8 weeks I needed when I had the mastectomy and the 3 weeks for the breast extenders (plastic and metal skin stretchers). The last surgery will probably be either around Thanksgiving or during my Christmas break to attach new nipples. I know you are thinking "WTH!!!!", but yeah, when they removed my breast they took everything. I won't have any sensation in my nipples, but hey I will have the appearance of some ;-).
All and all I am one happy camper. I have learned that life is so fleeting and that happiness is where you make it. The cancer is one of the primary reasons I decided to get the band. Because the cancer I had was not related to estrogen, I had to be proactive about my health. When the media and health officials tell you that being obese can cause cancer or be linked somehow to it, BELIEVE THEM!! Now me being obese didn't cause it (it is genetic), but staying that way would actually feed the cancer cells and make it worse. I want to live, so although previously against WLS, I soon got on board when my life was brought into question.
Anyway, this post turned out longer than I wanted it to, (I didn't want to bore you) but I wanted to let you in on what is going on with me. Ok, off to have my employment evaluation (which will not result in a raise...the state doesn't give those) and finish working on my project for my class. I will try to do some more commenting on the blogs in between that.
Have a great weekend!!!!!!!!
Posted by Pamela E. Williams at 7:33 AM
Because I write this blog mainly for me (at least that's what I tell myself - see below) here goes another ramble/question in bullet form. I'll try to make it short.
• Do you ever wonder what it is you are doing wrong with regard to diet/weight loss? I know the answer, but hey I just had to ask. I know that people lose weight differently and at different speeds, but dang I so want to be at goal right now. If I didn't have that last cookie, maybe just maybe...
•Head Hunger is a biiiiiiioootttttchhhh!!! That's what I have been dealing with when it comes to those cookies ^^^. I wish somebody would tell me how to get over that hurdle.
• I'm back on Atkin's after diverting for a week or two. I picked up 5+ lbeees and wasn't at all happy. I have to be close to goal by August because I don't want my stomach being bigger than the new boobs I'm getting.
• Which brings me to this point. I think I'm more determined just because of the aforementioned statement.
• Have you ever wondered why when you send a friend request on a certain social networking site to a person, they don't accept, even though you thought you were cool elsewhere. #justasking
• I read a post the other day and the person said (paraphrasing) "it's not like anyone will comment anyway." I felt bad for this person, not just because they felt this way, but because I have sometimes felt this way before too. And if you admit it, you have too. We (some of us) often say that this blogging thing is "more for us" something like a journal, but if we are truthful we will admit that when we type a post that we think is prophetic, prolific or just down-right funny we would like at least one person to comment.
• What keeps me plugging along with this thing.....success stories (in no certain order) like Tessie Rose, Amy W., Stephanie, Catherine55, Grace, Lap Band Gal and the list goes on.
• This post in no way indicates that I am down on myself or in some self pity mode. On the contrary, I am quite happy today (and most days). These are just random ramblings I had in my head.
Posted by Pamela E. Williams at 9:40 AM
Powered by Blogger.
Goals & Rewards
- Pamela E. Williams
- Memphis, TN, United States
- Loopy character here, I love fantasy movies and cartoons. I'm a 41 yr. old kid that has a son who loves her flaws and all. I'm also a recent Breast Cancer survivor. I got banded on August 10, 2010. Jiminy is his name, Jiminy Cricket that is or JC to all of you out there.