Pages

The Skinny on my new BOOBIES



Hey Everybody!!

First off thanks so much for all the cool and wonderful comments on my last post! I love a forum that supports all my madness ;-)

I'm in between studying (Summer classes started this past Tuesday) and thought because a few have asked, I would "try" to make a short post about my upcoming Breast Reconstruction Surgery.

Most of you may know that I am a breast cancer survivor. Back in May of 2009 I was diagnosed with a very rare form of breast cancer in stage II (only 0.05% of the women in the country have this kind). By my oncologist not knowing how to treat it, I underwent 3 months of chemotherapy, a bilateral mastectomy and radiation. In November of 2009 after having my breast removed, my ecstatic doctors informed me that the cancer was gone. I had to undergo radiation, but after that I would go through 3 more surgeries to get new breast. This will be my second surgery in where the doctors will put in silicone implants. I used to wear 50EE or 50F (they were probably Gs or Hs) bras so the option to downsize was an EASSSSSSSYYYY one!!

My next surgery is scheduled for some time in August. I'm opting for the 3rd week which will be the week of the 15th. This is excellent timing for me as I will be in between Summer semester classes (end August 8th) and my Fall classes (which start August 29th). My plastic surgeon says I will only need a week to recuperate as opposed to the 8 weeks I needed when I had the mastectomy and the 3 weeks for the breast extenders (plastic and metal skin stretchers). The last surgery will probably be either around Thanksgiving or during my Christmas break to attach new nipples. I know you are thinking "WTH!!!!", but yeah, when they removed my breast they took everything. I won't have any sensation in my nipples, but hey I will have the appearance of some ;-).

All and all I am one happy camper. I have learned that life is so fleeting and that happiness is where you make it. The cancer is one of the primary reasons I decided to get the band. Because the cancer I had was not related to estrogen, I had to be proactive about my health. When the media and health officials tell you that being obese can cause cancer or be linked somehow to it, BELIEVE THEM!! Now me being obese didn't cause it (it is genetic), but staying that way would actually feed the cancer cells and make it worse. I want to live, so although previously against WLS, I soon got on board when my life was brought into question.

Anyway, this post turned out longer than I wanted it to, (I didn't want to bore you) but I wanted to let you in on what is going on with me. Ok, off to have my employment evaluation (which will not result in a raise...the state doesn't give those) and finish working on my project for my class. I will try to do some more commenting on the blogs in between that.

Have a great weekend!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

Beth Ann said...

What an AMAZING post! I can't help but be inspired and motivated by you. I cannot possibly imagine going through what you have and to be the person you are today? Amazing, lady. Truly!

Read said...

Fantastic post!! Thanks so much for sharing all that information!! You continue to inspire!!

Read said...

I swear that's the 1st comment I've been able to make at work in weeks!! yippee!!

Justawallflower said...

I know in the grand scheme of things I would gladly sacrifice my breasts for my health and life, but I know you have got to be excited to have this moving forward and to soon be done! So excited for you!

Sandy said...

Yup. You said it. We have our own destiny in our hands. And that includes the band. So happy you have beat the beast. New life, new body, new boobies. What else could you ask for. You inspire us all.

DiZneDiVa said...

Great post... I am even more inspired to get this weight off, cancer already runs in my family and almost every mammogram results in the need for biopsy. I am so glad you're getting your breasts back. *M*

Joey said...

That is one of the best reasons I've heard to get the band. XOXO!

Barbara said...

Hugs to you.. your post made me cry!!

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Hey, you, gorgeous... You there, Upstairs in Heaven, you'll be as thin-as-you-wanna-be, girl. So don't worry about gaining a few pounds backNforth. Yawn. You'll look completely FAB-YOU-LOUS in a bathing suit in Heaven. Join me, please, at my BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy Upstairs for eons and eons celebrating our resurrection. How I'd looooove to make-out with you for days. Meet me Beyond the Clouds, girl, and I'll do everything humanly possible to show my love and passion towards you... including kissing your adorable, wonderfull feet till you tell me to stop. God - Bless - You, girl.

Rhonda said...

You're a very strong woman, Miss Pamela. Thanks for sharing this with us.

(By the way, I'm your newest follower - found you on the B.O.O.B.S. blog.)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm Lindsey! I have a question and would love to speak with you. Please email me when you have a chance, thanks so much! lindseyDOTcaldwellATrecallcenterDOTcom